The Handloaders Bench Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Welcome to HandloadersBench.com. You will receive a activation email with a link in it to activate your account. If you don't receive the email check your spam or junk folders. Email servers look at our email as spam. Our mission here is to provide a place for those interested in the hobby of Reloading Ammunition. We offer a series of forums where they can ask questions, share answers, and highlight successes & failures so that others can learn. If you join our site please be aware that front porch rules apply. If you wouldn't say it on your front porch with grandma, your pastor and your 12 year old niece present it doesn't belong here. The Golden Rule applies. If you can live within those guidelines, Welcome Aboard! Spammers, trolls, and flamers will not last long here, your time would be better spent looking for a board where those traits are acceptable. HB Administration

Bedding?
 Moderated by: Poacher, DesertMarine
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 02:44 AM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
papajoe222
Full Member


Joined: Tue Oct 11th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 145
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: No
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: small bore rifle
My favorite chambering is:: 0.223
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I just finished pillar bedding a Savage model 25 light weight varminter and the next step is the glass bedding process.  I'm a little apprehensive about it despite watching a number of videos and reading up on it.  My biggest concern is laying down too much and having it ooze out onto the stock or into areas it shouldn't.  What can I put on the exterior of the stock to eliminate the possibility of it ruining the finish, or is there something I can use to wipe off  the excess that won't harm the wood finish?



 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 03:42 AM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
BigDog58
Full Member


Joined: Sun Aug 25th, 2013
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA
Posts: 754
Photo: [Download]
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: 25/06, 30/06 50BMG plus 18 other calibers
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I bedded my 50 BMG into a Manners Carbon Fiber Stock last year, using Devcon, and I used plain old shoe polish on the areas I didn't want it to stick.

I used Plumbers Putty to build dams to hold the Devcon in the places I wanted it to stay.

Hope this might help.



____________________
NRA RSO
50 BMG, My Long Distance Provider
Never anger with a man that can Take You Out from another Zip Code


 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 03:49 AM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Rockydog



Joined: Tue Jul 26th, 2005
Location: 160 Miles SW Of The Frozen Tundra, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 15202
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: 8mm Mauser
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I use two layers of Scotch Blue masking tape on my stocks when bedding. I start just barely over the inside of the barrel channel and tape over the outside of the stock. I also tape the barrel ahead of the stock and the top of the action. If you end up with some bedding on your fingers it's easy to touch something that you don't want to have to clean later.

I use modeling clay to block off areas of the action and stock where I don't want excess bedding compound to flow, especially any place where it could flow and create a lock between the action and the stock. I test fit the clay and tighten the stock about 2 screw turns less than the final tightening with the clay only. Then I take the action back out and use an exacto knife to square up the modelling clay so that it's a nice fit.

In my opinion, if you use too little compound it's easier to go back and add a bit after it cures than to use too much and have it oozing out all over.

I also double coat all action and barrel surfaces with the release agent supplied in the kit. You can't be too careful in coating those parts. I've done 3 of these with no release problems at all using the Acra-glass kits. RD



____________________
“Those that beat their rifles into plow shares will plow for those who didn’t”. Jefferson

Light hunting rifles; Gravity is permanent, recoil is temporary.Your Choice


 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 12:44 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
SavageShooter



Joined: Mon Feb 15th, 2010
Location: Suburb Of KC, Missouri USA
Posts: 5904
Photo: [Download]
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: rifle
My favorite chambering is:: Improved Chamberings
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

BigDog58 wrote:
I bedded my 50 BMG into a Manners Carbon Fiber Stock last year, using Devcon, and I used plain old shoe polish on the areas I didn't want it to stick.

I used Plumbers Putty to build dams to hold the Devcon in the places I wanted it to stay.

Hope this might help.



Agree and agree some more. I've used electrical tape to cover up the stock where you know it will ooze out. Then as you bed the barreled action, just wipe the excess up. If you know it it ooze and you prep for it, it's not that big of a deal. Extra paper towels is a good thing! It's not that bad of a job, the key is to use the putty to keep the trigger area free of bedding material which is difficult to do since it's right there at the back action screw. Putty that up really good and do a few test runs w/o bedding compound to make sure you have a nice tight seal on the putty before you go live.



____________________
“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan


 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 12:45 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
SavageShooter



Joined: Mon Feb 15th, 2010
Location: Suburb Of KC, Missouri USA
Posts: 5904
Photo: [Download]
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: rifle
My favorite chambering is:: Improved Chamberings
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

Rockydog wrote:
I use two layers of Scotch Blue masking tape on my stocks when bedding. I start just barely over the inside of the barrel channel and tape over the outside of the stock. I also tape the barrel ahead of the stock and the top of the action. If you end up with some bedding on your fingers it's easy to touch something that you don't want to have to clean later.

I use modeling clay to block off areas of the action and stock where I don't want excess bedding compound to flow, especially any place where it could flow and create a lock between the action and the stock. I test fit the clay and tighten the stock about 2 screw turns less than the final tightening with the clay only. Then I take the action back out and use an exacto knife to square up the modelling clay so that it's a nice fit.

In my opinion, if you use too little compound it's easier to go back and add a bit after it cures than to use too much and have it oozing out all over.

I also double coat all action and barrel surfaces with the release agent supplied in the kit. You can't be too careful in coating those parts. I've done 3 of these with no release problems at all using the Acra-glass kits. RD


100% agree



____________________
“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan


 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 01:20 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
mtman714
Senior Member


Joined: Sun May 8th, 2011
Location: Dillon, Montana USA
Posts: 1420
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: What ever I am loading at the time.
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I've done it more then a few times, stuck one as well. It came apart just remember that hot & cold are you friend. I use modeling clay to build my dams and Brownells makes a great spray on release agent as well as plain old Vaseline. I like the gel for most jobs easier to use as it doesn't run everywhere,a warm room and products also helps makes things flow. I do a dry ran first just to make sure everything is ready and has clearance.A Dremel tool, plain white vinegar for cleaning,clay molding tools which you will find at any good craft store also helps and are cheap.Over flow is just clean up part of the game. Just take your time.Voids are easily filled after.



____________________
Mtman714; A man can do no better then to leave a good garden patch. Thomas Jefferson


 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 03:37 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Erle
Full Member


Joined: Sat May 10th, 2014
Location: Mendenhall, Mississippi USA
Posts: 319
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: 9mm
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

You've been given very good advice. I also use modeling clay for the action & masking tape on the stock. A good can of wax will be your best friend and I rub it everywhere I don't want the compound to stick.

I know your anxiety. I began feeling it years ago when I glass bedded my 1st rifle and still feel it when I glass bed. It's really a good feeling because it will cause you to be very careful & do all the necessary steps to keep the action from sticking.



 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 03:49 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Big Joe
Forum Benefactor


Joined: Thu Jul 4th, 2013
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 578
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: 222 and 308 in rifles 44mag and 45acp in handguns ...
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I do everything RD said except I use the old Johnson's paste wax(all over the action and barrel)as well as the release agent provided in kit. Way back we just used masking tape on both finished and raw stocks, with some wood dust and patience you can fix a slip or not snug enough floor plate while your at it. Acra-glass has always been my friend -- I am no wood person, but I keep trying...



 Posted: Wed Jan 4th, 2017 06:39 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
lscraig1968
Full Member


Joined: Wed Mar 26th, 2014
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 942
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: .30-06, .22-250, .223 Pistols: 9mm..45 and ...
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

SavageShooter wrote: Rockydog wrote:
I use two layers of Scotch Blue masking tape on my stocks when bedding. I start just barely over the inside of the barrel channel and tape over the outside of the stock. I also tape the barrel ahead of the stock and the top of the action. If you end up with some bedding on your fingers it's easy to touch something that you don't want to have to clean later.

I use modeling clay to block off areas of the action and stock where I don't want excess bedding compound to flow, especially any place where it could flow and create a lock between the action and the stock. I test fit the clay and tighten the stock about 2 screw turns less than the final tightening with the clay only. Then I take the action back out and use an exacto knife to square up the modelling clay so that it's a nice fit.

In my opinion, if you use too little compound it's easier to go back and add a bit after it cures than to use too much and have it oozing out all over.

I also double coat all action and barrel surfaces with the release agent supplied in the kit. You can't be too careful in coating those parts. I've done 3 of these with no release problems at all using the Acra-glass kits. RD


100% agree

+3  Exactly this.  Shoe polish works as mentioned above, but the blue wax release agent works great.



____________________
"Load every bullet like your life depended on it because one day it might."

Regards,
Shawn


 Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2017 04:27 AM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
papajoe222
Full Member


Joined: Tue Oct 11th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 145
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: No
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: small bore rifle
My favorite chambering is:: 0.223
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

Well, my first attempt was a huge failure. I attempted to remove the action and trim the bedding while it was still soft. It hadn't solidified enough and I ended up having to strip both the stock and action/barrel. I did learn a few things about the amount and mixture though.
Second attempt today, luckily I had more than enough compound and release agent. The process went fairly smooth and I am positively awaiting the results.



 Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2017 10:06 AM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
swampshooter

 

Joined: Sun Aug 3rd, 2008
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 7077
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: Yes
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: I load everything!
My favorite chambering is:: .204, 284, 7RM, 30/06
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

Almost any kind of wax or grease will work as a release agent. I used to use Johnsons Paste Floor Wax or Simoniz Auto Wax, both worked fine. Just make sure that they are allowed to dry before putting the stock and barreled action together.



____________________
NRA Endowment member
NRA Range Technical Team Advisor
TSRA member
NRA certified pistol coach-Retired
NRA classified Master, F-Class mid-range
Velocity is like a new car, always losing value
BC is like diamonds, maintaining value forever


 Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2017 01:37 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
postalpaul
Full Member


Joined: Tue Aug 14th, 2012
Location: Kaufman, Texas USA
Posts: 517
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: --
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: none
My favorite chambering is:: 308 ...
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I need to do a couple of my rifles also but have been a little apprehensive
May I ask what did you use ? accriglass from Brownells?



 Posted: Sat Jan 7th, 2017 02:05 PM
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
papajoe222
Full Member


Joined: Tue Oct 11th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 145
Photo: 
Are you a handloader?: No
Favorite type of cartridge to load?: small bore rifle
My favorite chambering is:: 0.223
Status: 
Offline

  back to top

I ordered the kit from Stocky's. I believe it costs $26-28 good kit, but it lacked any instructions used the Midway videos on pillar and glass brdding👍



 Current time is 07:07 AM
Top




UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1685 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 30 queries executed.