|View single post by Big Joe|
|Posted: Sat Apr 15th, 2017 08:47 PM||
|I was ask to post this and just never gave it much thought before. We have always used this mix or a close version since I was a kid. We rarely use the recipe just go about tossing in the stuff as usual. It's such a staple we keep it on hand all the time. Its also great on Chicken and Mushrooms (see that thread)LOL.
I had to ask my aunt for the exact recipe and she just ran this off the top of her head.
Fried Fish Coating Recipe
This will do about a pound of fish so adjust accordingly.
And for God’s sake use a cast iron skillet or Dutch oven to fry in. (Anything else is sacrilegious here)
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
1-1/2 Tbs Salt
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
2 Tsp Onion Powder
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 lb Fish of your choice - we use any white meated fish as well as catfish.
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and cornmeal, then stir well with a whisk.
2. Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and paprika, then whisk again well.
3. Make sure you rinse fish thoroughly with 1 tbs of salt and cool water.
4. Coat fish with seasoned flour/cornmeal mixture while still very damp to help the coating stick well.
5. Let fish sit for 15-20 minutes.
6. Place skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Add oil and let it preheat for 3 minutes.
8. Once hot, add fish and fry for 4 minutes per side or until brown on each side.
9. Sit fish aside on a paper toweled plate or foil to drain excess oil.
For Gravy we just use the left over mix and do the gravy as usual using some of the fish oil and milk. We add more black pepper to the gravy as it cooks. I mean you have to see the pepper grains or you just don't have enough..LOL
Last edited on Sat Apr 15th, 2017 08:47 PM by Big Joe